Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nik Wallenda Walked and Talked his Faith in God



On June 15, 2012 Nik Wallenda made history by walking directly over Niagara Falls on a 500 metre tightrope. A day or two after the event I watched a short video clip from ABC news. It was a beautiful sight seeing Nik, resplendent in his red track suit, walking slowly but calmly while defying the roaring monster far below. But as I watched I heard something amazing. In a brief lull from the flood of words pouring from the newscaster, I heard clearly and plainly the words, “Praise be to you Jesus, praise  to the Father.” I was stunned. Where, I asked, did those words come from?  Almost immediately I guessed Nik had been wired for sound, and this praise was issuing from him as he made the dangerous crossing. Later that day I confirmed my theory and also learned that Nik is a follower of Christ and fearlessly speaks of his faith in Jesus.
I have met a number of people who believe that verbally sharing the faith is not necessary. They have told me that instead of speaking about Christ, they witness by living a godly life in front of their neighbours and friends.  They have commented, “I’ll show my faith by my lifestyle; then if people are interested they will ask me questions.”
Now, this idea that we can be “silent” witnesses for Christ is not new.  I clearly remember having a personal conversation on this topic many years ago with a girl I was dating. Jacqueline (not her real name) was raised in a pastor’s family and was seeking to live a godly Christian life.  However, she had accepted this notion that speaking of Christ was not necessary.   Her viewpoint was all the more surprising for she was part of a denomination that practised bold witnessing.  I was convinced she had not learned her silent concept of witness either at home, or in her church.  Nevertheless, she had picked up the idea somewhere and it strongly appealed to her.
Recently I had almost an identical conversation with another follower of Christ. This idea that Christians are not called to, “talk the walk” is perennial, and I seriously doubt it will ever completely go away.
 I don’t want anyone to misunderstand.  People who think like this are half-right, but they are also half-wrong. It is indeed crucial that we who believe should, “walk the talk.” Nothing is more necessary. Our actions must back up our words (Matthew 5:16).  Actions alone, however, will never be enough.  For we are called over and over again to be a people who speak and confess, called to be a people who, “proclaim the excellencies of Christ” (I Peter 2:9).
I think many people who think like this have the idea that only super-smooth, courageous, natural talkers have responsibility to verbally share their faith. They might reason that shy people should not be expected to step out of their comfort zone.  It appears they have developed a defense for quiet and introverted people, giving them a basis for keeping quiet and “witnessing” only with their “lived out truth.”
But scripture does not back the claim that we only have to “live it” (Acts 1:8, John 20:21-22, Romans 10: 14-15). Walking the Christian faith and talking about it should never be separated. They certainly should never be put in opposition to one another.  
We’ve all heard the expression that Christians must, “walk the talk.”  No truer statement could be made. But I suspect that far fewer people know that believers are also called to, “talk the walk.”
 Nik Wallenda crossed the Niagara Falls walking and talking at the same time. He walked a narrow, dangerous pathway, in faith,  that God would keep him on the wire.  But at exactly the same time, he talked—talked to God and 13 million listeners, publicly giving thanks and praise to his savior and creator.
Nik witnessed both by actions and words. Let all who believe in Jesus go and do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment