Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why is the Catholic Church under Attack?


As I follow Christ I seek to encourage and teach fellow believers to speak about their faith in Jesus. To achieve that end I provide training in witnessing and evangelism and constantly challenge others to boldly talk the walk.  

But there is another way of understanding, “talking the walk.”  In my view Christians have the duty and responsibility to confidently enter the public square with the truth of Christianity. Of the many faith groups that I know of, there is one in particular who seems to understand this calling better than others.  I speak of the Catholic Church.  Many who follow her teaching are people who speak up for Christian values in the public square.  As a result they are often maligned for their efforts.

The following is a letter published today in a local Guelph newspaper defending the Catholics for their willingness to speak the truth.

Dear Editor,

Re: Letter to the editor, “Solid argument lost in translation” (Tribune, June 21, 2012).

Letter writer Cory Houghton wants everybody to be certain that Alan Pickersgill did not attack the Catholic Church in one of his recent columns.   So, in a fairly nuanced way he tries to defend Pickersgill, and at the same time scorns the idea that Catholic Christian, Betty Karl, has any right to feel attacked.

It amazes me that Houghton has the audacity to say to someone in a faith tradition that they have no right to their feelings. Who does he think he is? Then in a surprising turn he, himself, proceeds in the last half of his letter to specifically attack the Catholic Church for some of her public stands on morality, and her persecution of various groups some 500 years ago.

Frankly, I too, grow tired of the almost constant drum beat of attack against Catholics. And no I don’t agree with every Catholic position. In fact I am an Evangelical Christian with a different faith tradition. But I recognize that the Catholic Church is one of the last bulwarks of defence against the rampant tide of immorality sweeping the West.   

Among other charges, Houghton claims that the Catholic Church is linked with homophobia. I’m of the strong opinion that there is a much more sinister phobia on the loose.  There is a growing animosity toward Christian values found in virtually every level of society.

Yes, I speak of Christophobia. It is very much present, and is growing.  I long for the day when the media will begin to report on it.  

Royal Hamel

Follow me, let's change the world together!


No comments:

Post a Comment